The School-Based Health Centers (Teen Clinics) are located at the following Holyoke schools: Holyoke High School North and Dean Campuses, and William R. Peck Middle School. Our Teen Clinics (or School-Based Health Centers) are licensed health clinics providing quality, comprehensive health care services on-site in schools. We know that healthy students learn better and achieve more. We’re here to work together with your Primary Care Provider to offer preventative care and treatment where it is most accessible; students don’t have to leave school and parents don’t have to leave work for appointments. Parental consent is required.
Holyoke is one of many school districts across the country that has a School-Based Health Center program; there are approximately 2,000 SBHCs in the United States. The Teen Clinic at Holyoke High opened its doors in 1985. In 1989 the Teen Clinic became a program of River Valley Counseling Center and expanded to include Peck School, and in 2000 to include Dean Tech High School. We accept all forms of public and private insurance. Uninsured students are also eligible for care at the Teen Clinic.
Teen Clinics Clinical Services
Health Assessments/Physical Exams:
- Comprehensive physical examinations, including sports, work and camp physicals for students who don’t have access to a Primary Care Provider.
- Student Assessments for overall health and safety and counseling about substance use, reproductive health, family and relationship issues, nutrition/exercise, sleep and personal hygiene.
Acute and Chronic Illness Care:
- Examination, diagnosis and treatment for routine injuries, illnesses and infections, and chronic health problems like asthma and diabetes.
- Throat cultures and Rapid Strep tests
- Urine screenings
- Pregnancy tests
- The Teen Clinic works together with the school staff to develop and implement various educational programs.
- Professional counseling staff is available to see students experiencing emotional or behavioral difficulties in school or at home. Mental health services include individual, family or group therapy on site at school and to a limited degree on an outreach basis. Support is also provided to the schools for mental health promotion activities, individual student support services and crisis evaluations.
Teen Clinic Hours:
The Teen Clinic is open Monday through Friday during school hours at Holyoke High School North, Dean Campus, and William R. Peck Middle School.
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
- Mental Health Counselors
- Community Health Workers
Fees & Payment:
- Medical services provided by the clinic are billed to a student’s insurance or medical assistance plan.
- Counseling services, with the exception of some HMO’s, are billed to the insurance of the student or directly to the parents or guardians.
- No student will be denied medical service due to inadequate insurance coverage or a parent’s inability to pay.
- Teen Clinic medical services are not intended to replace your child’s pediatrician.
Referrals are made to appropriate health care providers as necessary.
If you are interested in receiving services at one of RVCC's Teen Clinics, please contact:
Holyoke High School North
500 Beech St • Holyoke, MA 01040
1045 Main St • Holyoke, MA 01040
William R. Peck Middle School
1916 Northampton St • Holyoke, MA 01040
Funded in part by D.P.H.